Bacon, though does not belong to the healthy food segment, still it is globally one of the most popular foodstuffs. It happens to be the most preferred choice of numerous across the world. Thus one can easily guess the popularity and demand of bacon. In modern times, lifestyle and food habits are taking a huge toll on our health. People are suffering from cholesterol and various complicated diseases. Thus it’s preferable to choose the healthy options of food.
Stay healthy but don’t compromise with the taste buds. This should be the motto of twenty-first-century people. Here comes the vegan bacon to fulfil your motto.
Vegan bacon are made from seitan. You may not be very familiar with this term. Even if you have heard the name, you may not be having a clear idea. For your convenience, let me tell you that Seitan is a type of plant originated alternative that tastes and looks like original meat. Vegan bacon is too made from this seitan. This protein delicacy is a subtle combo of salty, sweet and crispiness.
How to prepare Vegan Bacon?
Also one can prepare vegan bacon very easily. Take a quick look into the steps involving the preparation of vegan bacon.
1. Vital Wheat gluten (2 cups or 300 gms) is an important ingredient. It is essential to maintain the texture.
2. In a mixing bowl gradually add white gluten, 2 tsp of smoked paprika, 15g yeast, ½ tsp garlic and ½ tsp onion powder. Then mix them all properly.
3. Next, take a measuring jug. Then add 60 ml maple syrup, ¼ cup of canola oil, ¼ cup vegetable stock, 60 ml tamari, liquid smoke, tomato paste and mustard one by one. Whisk all the ingredients together.
4. Next mix the liquid and dry ingredients as mentioned in points 2 and 3 together to prepare a thickened dough.
5. Knead the dough for five to eight minutes so that it turns quite firm and stiff.
6. Try to shape it in a square form and then get it wrapped in a foil in a loose manner. Next, this loose wrapping is steamed for 20 minutes.
The most important tip happens to be the wrapping in a loosened manner as this dough is about to expand while being steamed. Before adding the steamer you need to be sure that the water is in boiling state. The entire thing needs to be steamed properly. After completion of the entire process, the foil is to be unwrapped.
Before you slice the steamed dough make sure that it is cooled properly. You can have the even-sized pieces only if the seitan is cooled properly. If you want to have some more prepare a tasty marinade that will increase the taste by manifolds. For the preparation of the sauce, you need garlic, onion powder liquid smoke, paprika, tomato paste and maple syrup.
While frying the bacon, brush them up with this marinade sauce. While smoking it up, keep it in high smoke point to give it a charred look. Olive oil or grapeseed oil is used for frying purpose.
So, now that you know how to vegan in style; what are you waiting for? Go and try out the recipe and impress your loved ones.
For Healthy Food update, follow Wat-Not on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram