Ginger, officially known as Zingiber officinale is famous for the root. The rhizome i.e the root of ginger is what we use during cooking. It is spicy in flavor and has a number of medicinal properties. Here we are listing a few benefits of ginger intake but you must consume it after consulting a doctor.
Proven Health Benefits of Ginger
1. Ginger helps people suffering from indigestion and stomach discomfort. Functional dyspepsia is the clinical term used to describe upper abdominal discomfort. Ginger increases the body’s ability to empty stomach quickly known as gastric emptying and thus stops indigestion or any related issues.
2. Ginger appears to be very effective against menstrual pain. According to a study, ginger helps in reducing the pain associated with dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) in women. It works like magic in case of menstrual cramps in the abdomen and lower back that are common during the cycle.
3. Ginger has been shown to lower blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood triglyceride levels. There is some evidence of ginger leading to significant reductions in LDL cholesterol that is called the bad cholesterol both in animals and humans. It also improves various heart disease risk factors in patients with type 2 diabetes.
4. Studies show that ginger can be used to reduce the symptoms of osteoarthritis. Along with this, ginger is also helpful at reducing regular muscle pain and muscle soreness, induced by exercise. Both are very common health problem and taking ginger regularly may help in such cases.
5. Ginger can stop the growth of many different types of bacteria (29Trusted Source, 30Trusted Source). Fresh ginger also works effectively against the RSV virus, a common cause of respiratory infections (32Trusted Source).
6. Moreover, Gingerol, the bioactive substance in fresh ginger, helps in reducing the risk of infections. It is also rich with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It works against the oral bacteria linked to inflammatory diseases in the gums, such as gingivitis and periodontitis (31Trusted Source).
7. Ginger can help prevent various types of nausea. This applies to sea sickness, chemotherapy-related nausea, nausea after surgery and morning sickness. When it comes to the pregnancy-related nausea ginger maybe your one-stop solution. According to a review of 12 studies that included a total of 1,278 pregnant women, 1.1-1.5 grams of ginger can significantly reduce symptoms of nausea.
8. Oxidative stress and chronic inflammation can accelerate the ageing process. And hence drive the process of Alzheimer’s disease and age-related cognitive decline. Some studies suggest that ginger can protect the brain from age-related damage. It can inhibit inflammatory responses that occur in the brain and does enhance the brain function directly.
9. Ginger extract can be an alternative treatment for several forms of cancer. It has a substance names 6-gingerol that may protect cells against cancer. However, this s not proved yet and need to be studied a lot more in detail.